Proper stop lamp switch adjustment is important. Incorrect adjustment may cause brake drag and excessive brake lining wear. With the brake pedal in the fully released position, the stop lamp switch plunger should be fully depressed against the brake pedal shanks.
- If installing a replacement stop lamp switch, insert the stop lamp switch into the brake pedal bracket.
- Push the brake pedal forward to set the brake pushrod into the power brake vacuum booster.
- Pull the brake pedal to the rear, against the internal pedal stop. The stop lamp switch automatically adjusts due to the movement of the brake pedal.
- Check the stop lamps for proper operation.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the driver's side instrument panel sound insulator panel.
- Detach the switch electrical connectors.
- Remove the switch from the brake pedal bracket.
- Position the switch to the brake pedal bracket.
- Attach the electrical connectors.
- Install the driver's side instrument panel sound insulator panel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.