Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the proportioning valve cap assemblies.
- Remove and discard the O-rings.
- Remove the springs.
- Using needle-nosed pliers, remove the proportioning valve pistons. Be very careful not to scratch or damage the piston stems.
- Remove the proportioning valve seals from the pistons.
- Inspect the pistons for corrosion or other damage, and replace, if necessary.
- Lubricate new O-rings and proportioning valve seals with the silicone grease supplied in the repair kit. Also lubricate the stem of the proportioning valve pistons.
- Place the new seals on the proportioning valve pistons with the seal lips facing upward toward the cap assembly.
- Position the proportioning valve pistons and seals into the master cylinder body.
- Install the springs in the master cylinder body.
- Place new O-rings in the grooves in the proportioning valve cap assemblies.
- Install the proportioning valve caps on the master cylinder body. Tighten the caps to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- If removed, install the reservoir assembly to the master cylinder. Refill the system with fresh DOT 3 brake fluid from a sealed container.
- Connect the negative battery cable.