Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
Never drain fuel through the fuel tank filler pipe in order to prevent damage to the fuel tank filler pipe check-ball.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe cap.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the fuel tank filler pipe EVAP pipe restraints.
- Clean the fuel tank filler pipe EVAP pipe connection and the surrounding area before disconnecting the fuel tank filler pipe to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system. Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe EVAP pipe hose clamp.
- Wrap a clean shop cloth around the EVAP pipe and slowly remove the pipe from the filler pipe.
- GM recommends a hand-operated fuel pump device to drain the fuel through the EVAP pipe into an approved container.