Removal & Installataion
When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling . Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disable the SIR system.
- Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement.
- If equipped with a manual steering column, remove the tilt lever.
- If equipped with a power steering column, remove the driver knee bolster.
- Remove the steering column trim covers.
- Remove the multifunction switch mounting bolts.
- Disconnect electrical connectors.
Remove the multifunction switch assembly.
- Reconnect electrical connectors.
- Install the multifunction switch assembly.
- Install multifunction switch mounting bolts and tighten to 62 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
- Install the steering column trim covers and tighten bolts to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- If removed install the driver knee bolster.
- If removed install the tilt lever.
- Install steering wheel and tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Enable the SIR system.