General Motors vehicles are now manufactured with fluorescent dye installed directly into the air conditioning (A/C) system.
Prior to recovering or charging the refrigerant system, you must use an A/C refrigerant analyzer to identify gas samples taken directly from the refrigeration system or storage containers.
- Follow the instructions included with the refrigerant analyzer to obtain the sample for testing.
The analyzer will display one of the following :
- A green PASS Light Emitting Diode (LED) will light if the purity of the R-134, is better than 98% by weight.
- A red FAIL LED will light if the purity of the gases does not meet the 98% purity standard.
- A red FAIL LED and HYDROCARBON light will illuminate and a horn will sound if a hydrocarbon is detected above 5%. This will alert the user of potential hazards.
- If contaminated refrigerant is detected, DO NOT recover the refrigerant into your recovery/recycling equipment.