When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling . Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disable the SIR system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
- Disconnect the steering column electrical connector.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Install J 42578 steering wheel puller legs and the J 1859-A steering wheel puller to the steering wheel.
Using the puller with the special legs, remove the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Connect the steering column electrical connector.
- Install the inflator module.
- Enable the SIR system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.