Removal & Installation
Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable from battery post.
- Using a brake pedal holding tool as shown, depress the brake pedal past its first 25 mm (1 inch) of travel and hold it in this position. This will isolate the master cylinder from the brake hydraulic system and will not allow the brake fluid to drain out of the master cylinder reservoir while the lines are disconnected.
- Remove the engine appearance cover.
- Loosen lower and upper mounting nuts, then remove the exhaust heat shield from the dash panel.
- Pull the brake tube bundle routing clips (with tubes) loose from studs on the dash panel.
Remove the primary (4) and secondary (1) brake tubes (from master cylinder) at the hydraulic control unit (7).
- Remove the remaining brake tubes (2, 3, 5, 6) at the hydraulic control unit (7).
Remove the screw (1) fastening the power steering pressure hose routing clamp (2) to the exhaust manifold.
NOTEUse this figure in the following step to release the ABM harness connector cover. It shows the location of the release tabs.
- Disconnect the ABM harness connector from the Antilock Brake Module (ABM). To do so:
Loosen, but do not remove, the two mounting screws (2) attaching the ICU (1) mounting bracket to the body.
- Lift the ICU and mounting bracket (1) off the mounting screws (2).
- Move the brake tubes around as necessary without bending them and remove the ICU with bracket through the opening between the A/C lines and the exhaust manifold.
- Install the ICU with bracket (1) through the opening between the A/C lines and the exhaust manifold using the opposite of how it was removed.
Place the mounting bracket for the ICU (1) over the mounting screws (2) and hang the assembly in place. Tighten the two mounting screws (2) to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.).
CAUTIONBefore installing the ABM harness connector on the ABM, be sure the seal is properly installed in the connector.
Insert the ABM wiring harness connector (2) into the socket of the ABM (1) and close the cover, locking the connector in place.
Install the four chassis brake tubes (2, 3, 5, 6) brake tubes at the ICU hydraulic control unit (7). Tighten the tube nuts to 17 N·m (150 in. lbs.).
- Install the primary (4) and secondary (1) brake tubes at the ICU hydraulic control unit (7). Tighten the tube nuts to 17 N·m (150 in. lbs.).
Position the power steering pressure hose routing clamp (2) on the exhaust manifold and install the mounting screw (1). Tighten the mounting screw to 9 N·m (80 in. lbs.).
- Push the brake tube bundle routing clips (with tubes) onto the studs on the dash panel.
- Install the heat shield on the dash panel and tighten the lower and upper mounting nuts.
- Remove the brake pedal holding tool.
- Install the engine appearance cover.
- Connect the battery negative cable to the battery post. It is important that this be performed properly.
Hook up the scan tool to initialize the ABM and perform the following:
- Clear any faults.
- Fill the master cylinder to the proper fill level and bleed the base and ABS hydraulic systems.
- Check for leaks.
- Perform the ABS Verification Test and road test the vehicle.