Removal & Installation
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable before beginning steering wheel removal or installation. Allow the front airbag system capacitor to discharge for two minutes before removing the steering wheel or any front airbag system component. This will disable the front airbag system. Failure to disconnect the battery could result in accidental front airbag module deployment and possible personal injury.Do not place a non-deployed airbag face down on a hard surface as the airbag will propel into the air if accidentally deployed, and could result in serious or fatal injury.
- Remove air cleaner fresh air duct.
- Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable at battery,
- Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds,
- Remove steering column opening cover.
Remove the screw (2) that secures the right multi-function switch (1) to the mounting bracket integral to the right side of the clockspring (3) on the steering column.
- Slide the switch away from the clockspring far enough to disengage the slide tab on the bottom of the switch housing from the channel formation in the mounting bracket.
- Position the multi-function switch aside.
- Position steering column to the full down position.
- Position ignition key to the RUN position.
Remove screw (1) fastening the SKREEM/WCM (2) to the lock cylinder housing (3).
- Unhook the SKREEM/WCM (2) retainer fingers from the lock cylinder housing (3) and position the SKREEM/WCM (2) back on the lock cylinder housing (3).
Insert an appropriate tool into the slot (1) formed into the lock cylinder housing.
- Depress the key cylinder retaining tab.
- Pull key cylinder (3) and key (2) straight out of the lock cylinder housing as one unit.
- Place actuator in the lock cylinder housing to the RUN position (if not already there).
- Insert key into key cylinder and turn key cylinder to the RUN position.
- Align the retaining tab on the key cylinder with the slot in the top of the lock cylinder housing.
- Slide key cylinder into the lock cylinder housing until key cylinder retaining tab locks the cylinder into place.
- Rotate key back and forth (OFF to START), then remove and reinstall it, making sure key cylinder and lock cylinder housing operate properly.
- Slide the ring of SKREEM/WCM over lock cylinder housing and engage the retainer fingers in the recesses formed on the lock cylinder housing.
- Install screw fastening the SKREEM/WCM to lock cylinder housing. Tighten screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
- Install and tighten the screw that secures the mounting tab on the back of the right multi-function switch to the mounting bracket on the clockspring.
- Install steering column opening cover,
- Install upper and lower steering column shrouds,
- Install air cleaner fresh air duct and connect negative battery cable at battery,
- Check operation of all steering column mounted components.