Removal & Installataion
Steering Column Control Module
- Place the front wheels in the STRAIGHT-AHEAD position.
- Open hood.
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
WARNINGWait two minutes for the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge before beginning any airbag system or component service. Failure to do so may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury or death.
- Remove steering wheel.
- Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds to gain access to the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM).
Lock the clockspring rotor in the center position as follows:
Insert a grenade pin through the hole in the rotor at the 10 o'clock position.
Remove the three screws (1) to the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) (3)
Disconnect the electrical connectors between the SCCM and the instrument panel wiring harness at the base of the SCCM and remove from column.
NOTEIf only removing the SCCM from column, there is no need to continue to next step.
- Position the SCCM over the steering column shaft.
- Install the three screws.
- Connect the electrical connectors to the instrument panel harness, ensure wiring is properly routed.
- Check that the connectors and locking tabs are properly engaged.
- Install steering column shrouds. Be sure all wires are inside of shrouds.
- Install steering wheel ensuring the flats on hub align with the clockspring.
Pull the airbag leads through the larger slot. Ensure leads do not get pinched under the steering wheel.
NOTEThere is a small wire harness in the steering wheel and it contains the horn circuits and speed control circuits.
- Connect the speed control and horn wire connector into the clockspring.
- Pull the grenade pin out of the clockspring.
Install the driver airbag,
WARNINGDo not connect the battery negative cable. Personal injury or death may result if the system test is not performed first.