Power Window System
Diagnosis & Testing
- Remove front door trim panel as necessary to gain access to power window motor wire connector.
- Disconnect power window motor wire connector from door harness.
- Using two jumper wires, connect one to a battery (+) source and the other to a good ground (-).
- Connect the Negative (-) jumper probe to one of the motor connector terminals.
- Momentarily touch the Positive (+) jumper probe to the other motor connector terminal.
- When positive probe is connected the motor should rotate in one direction to either move window up or down. If window is all the way up or down the motor will grunt and the inner door panel will flex when actuated in that one direction.
- Reverse jumper probes at the motor connector terminals and window should now move in opposite direction. If window does not move or grunt, replace the motor.
- If window moved completely up or down, reverse the jumper probes and cycle window to the opposite position to verify full operation.
- If motor grunts and does not move, verify that regulator is not binding.
The following wiring test determines whether or not voltage is continuous through the body harness to the front switch.
- Remove the power window switch and bezel.
- Disconnect wire connector from back of power window switch.
- Switch ignition to the ON position.
Connect the clip end of a 12 volt test light to Pin 4 of the window switch harness connector. Touch the test light probe to Pin 3.
If the test light illuminates, the wiring circuit between the battery and switch is OK.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable .
- Remove the front door bolster.
- Disconnect the electrical harness connectors.
- With the bolster on the bench, gently pry in on the tabs of the mirror switch and push through the front of the cover and remove.
- Place the mirror switch in bolster opening and firmly snap into place.
- Connect the electrical harness connectors.
- Install the front door bolster.
- Connect the battery negative cable.
- Move the window to the full UP position, if possible.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Remove the front door module.
- Disconnect electrical harness connector from motor.
- Remove window regulator.
- With regulator on bench, remove four screws retaining the motor to the regulator and remove motor.
- With regulator on bench, install four screws retaining the motor to the regulator.
- Install the window regulator.
- Connect the electrical harness connector to window motor.
- Install the door module.
- Connect battery negative cable.