The rear drum brake shoes serve as the parking brakes. Refer to the procedures under Rear Drum Brakes.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the caliper assembly. For additional information, refer to the following section, -Rear Disc Brakes, Brake Caliper, Removal & Installation.-
- Remove any clips from the wheels studs and remove the brake rotor.
- Turn the brake shoe adjuster wheel until the adjuster is at the shortest length.
- Remove the upper return spring from the anchor pin and rear brake shoe.
Remove the second upper return spring from the anchor pin and front brake shoe.
- Remove the brake shoe hold-down springs and pins. Rotate the pins 90° to disengage and remove.
- Remove the parking brake cable from the lever on the rear parking brake shoe.
- Remove the brake shoes, adjuster and lower return spring as an assembly from the support plate.
- If necessary, remove the strut.
Remove the lower return spring and adjuster from the shoes.
- Install the lower return spring and adjuster between the parking brake shoes. The rear shoe will have the lever mounted on the inside. Make sure the threaded portion of the adjuster is mounted to the left on both right and left side parking brake assemblies.
- If necessary, place the strut above the hub on the vehicle. The curved end of the strut is positioned to the rear.
- Install the assembled brake shoes, adjuster and lower return spring over the hub and onto the support plate and anchor. Be sure to install the strut between the front shoe and the lever on the rear shoe.
- Install the parking brake cable onto the lever on the parking brake shoe.
- Install the brake hold-down springs and pins. Rotate the pins 90° to engage.
- Install the front upper return spring hooking the front brake shoe and over the anchor pin.
- Install the front upper return spring hooking the rear brake shoe and over the anchor pin.
Adjust the parking brake shows as follows:
- Using Special Tool C-3919 Brake Shoe Gauge or equivalent, measure the inside diameter of parking brake drum portion of rotor. Set the Gauge.
- Place the gauge over the parking brake shoes at their widest point.
Using the adjuster wheel, adjust the parking brake shoes until the linings on both parking brake shoes just touch the jaws on the gauge.
- Install the rotor.
- Install the caliper assembly. Tighten the lower guide pin bolt to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Install the rear wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Verify proper operation of the parking brake.