Removal & Installation
- Using a scan tool, retrieve the percentage of remaining engine oil. Record the remaining engine oil life.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the PCM connectors.
- Remove the mounting fasteners from the PCM bracket.
- Remove the PCM and mounting bracket assembly from the engine compartment.
- Remove the PCM from the mounting bracket.
Do not touch the connector pins or soldered components on the circuit board in order to prevent possible electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage to the PCM.
- Install the PCM to the mounting bracket.
- Install the PCM and mounting bracket assembly into the vehicle. Tighten the mounting bracket fasteners to 7 Nm (62 inch lbs.).
- Reconnect the PCM connectors. Tighten the PCM connector end fasteners to 8 Nm (70 inch lbs.).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- If a new PCM is being installed, reprogram the PCM. See PCM Reprogramming.
Camaro & Firebird 5.7L V8 Engines
NOTES AND CAUTIONS:
THE SERVICE PCM EEPROM WILL NOT BE PROGRAMMED. DTC P0601 and P0602 indicate the EEPROM is not programmed or has malfunctioned.Turn the ignition OFF when installing or removing the PCM connectors and disconnecting or reconnecting the power to the PCM (battery cable, PCM pigtail, PCM fuse, jumper cables, etc.) in order to prevent internal PCM damage.Ensure that the hood is free of contaminates (moisture) before servicing the PCM. The moisture flows into the PCM connector body when the PCM is disconnected and the hood is opened.Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM module connector gaskets when diagnosing/replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the PCM.It is necessary to record the remaining engine oil life. If the replacement module is not programed with the remaining engine oil life, the engine oil life will default to 100%. If the replacement module is not programmed with the remaining engine oil life, the engine oil will need to be changed at 5000 km (3,000 mi) from the last engine oil change.Do not touch the connector pins or soldered components on the circuit board in order to prevent possible electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage to the PCM.
- Service of the PCM should normally consist of either replacement of the PCM or EEPROM programming. If the diagnostic procedures call for the PCM to be replaced, the PCM should be checked first to see if it is the correct part. If it is, remove the faulty PCM and install the new service PCM.
The following must be performed anytime the PCM is replaced:
Program the PCM
The following must be performed anytime the PCM is disconnected, reprogrammed or loses power: