Removal & Installation
Clean, high quality brake fluid is essential to the safe and proper operation of the brake system. You should always buy the highest quality brake fluid that is available. If the brake fluid becomes contaminated, drain and flush the system, then refill the master cylinder with new fluid. Never reuse any brake fluid. Any brake fluid that is removed from the system should be discarded. Also, do not allow any brake fluid to come in contact with a painted surface; it will damage the paint.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain brake fluid.
- Remove the air cleaner cap sub-assembly.
- Remove the air cleaner case sub-assembly.
- Remove the windshield wiper arm and blade assembly.
- Remove both front fender to cowl side seals.
- Remove the cowl top ventilator louver sub-assembly.
- Remove the windshield wiper link assembly.
- Remove the cowl top panel outer sub-assembly.
- Remove the brake booster assembly.
- Remove the LH front door scuff plate.
- Remove the LH cowl side trim sub-assembly.
- Remove the LH lower instrument panel finish panel.
- Remove No. 1 instrument panel sub-assembly.
- Remove lower instrument panel finish panel.
- Remove instrument cluster finish No.1 panel.
- Remove combination meter assembly.
- Remove the clip and pin, and disconnect the push rod clevis from the clutch pedal.
- Drain brake fluid.
- Using pliers, grip the claws of the clip and slide the clip to disconnect the tube from the clutch master cylinder. Use a container to catch the fluid.
Using SST 09023-00101, disconnect the clutch line.
- Remove the 2 nuts and clutch master cylinder.
Remove the gasket from the clutch master cylinder assembly.
- Install a new gasket to the clutch master cylinder assembly.
Install the clutch master cylinder with the 2 nuts and tighten to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
NOTEConnect the clutch reservoir tube so that it will not be twisted.
NOTEMake sure that the green mark is positioned.
Using SST 09023-00101, connect the clutch line and tighten to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
NOTEInstall the pin from the left side of the vehicle.
- Apply MP grease to the contact surface of the pin and clevis bushing.
- Connect the clevis to the clutch pedal with the pin and a new clip.
- To complete installation, reverse remaining removal procedure.
- Fill the brake reservoir with brake fluid and bleed the clutch system.
- Check the brake fluid.
- Check for leakage in the brake system.
- Check for leakage in the clutch system.
- Check fluid level in reservoir.
- Inspect and adjust clutch pedal sub-assembly.