Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove cool air intake duct seal.
- Remove v-bank cover sub-assembly.
- Remove air cleaner inlet assembly.
- Remove air cleaner cap sub-assembly.
- Remove air cleaner case sub-assembly.
- Remove No. 1 air cleaner inlet.
- Disconnect the terminal 50 connector from the starter assembly.
- Remove the nut and disconnect the wire harness from terminal 30.
Remove the 2 bolts and starter assembly.
- Install the starter assembly with the 2 bolts and tighten to 26 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Connect the wire harness to terminal 30 and install the nut and tighten to 87 inch lbs. (9.8 Nm).
- Cover the nut with the cap.
- Connect terminal 50 to the starter assembly.
- To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.
Make sure to complete each of the following tests within 3 to 5 seconds to prevent the coil from burning out.
- Perform the pull-in test:
- Perform the hold-in test:
- Inspect clutch pinion gear return:
Perform no-load performance test:
- Connect the field coil wire to terminal C with the nut. Make sure that the lead is not grounded.
- Clamp the starter in a vise.
- Connect the battery and an ammeter to the starter shown in the illustration.
Check that the starter rotates smoothly and steadily with the clutch pinion gear extended. Check that the ammeter reads the specified current of 11.5 volts at 90 amps or less.