Removal & Installation
- Raise the vehicle.
- Remove the rear brake drums.
- Remove the propeller shaft.
- Measure the amount of torque required to rotate the pinion. Use an inch-pound torque wrench. Record this measurement for reassembly.
- Place an alignment mark between the pinion and the pinion yoke.
- Install the flange and holding tool J-8614-01, and remove the pinion nut while holding the tool.
- Remove the washer.
- Install the J 8614-3 (2) and the J 8614-2 (3) into the as shown.
- Remove the pinion yoke by turning the J 8614-3 (3) clockwise while holding the J-8614-01 (1). Use a container in order to retrieve the lubricant.
Remove the pinion oil seal. Use a suitable seal removal tool. Do not damage the housing.
- Using an oil seal installer, install the pinion seal.
- Apply sealant to the splines of the pinion yoke.
- Align the reference marks.
Install the pinion yoke.
NOTEDo not hammer the pinion flange/yoke onto the pinion shaft. Pinion components may be damaged if the pinion flange/yoke is hammered onto the pinion shaft.
- Using a soft-faced hammer, tap the pinion yoke until the threads on the pinion shaft can be seen.
- Install the washer and a new pinion nut.
Install the J-8614-01 onto the pinion yoke as shown.
NOTEIf the rotating torque is exceeded, the pinion will have to be removed and a new collapsible spacer installed.
- Tighten the pinion nut while holding the tool.
- Tighten the nut until the pinion end play is just taken up. Rotate the pinion while tightening the nut to seat the bearings.
- Measure the rotating torque of the pinion. Compare this measurement with the rotating torque recorded during removal.
- Tighten the nut in small increments, as needed, until the rotating torque is 3-5 inch lbs. (0.40-0.57 Nm) greater than the rotating torque recorded during removal.
- Once the specified torque is obtained, rotate the pinion several times to ensure the bearings have seated. Recheck the rotating torque and adjust if necessary.
- Install the propeller shaft.
- Install the brake drums.
- Inspect and add axle lubricant to the axle housing, if necessary.
- Lower the vehicle