Removal & Installation
On the 2.4L engine, the oil pressure switch is located on the side of the engine block facing the firewall. On the 3.3L and 3.8L engines, the oil pressure switch is located next to the oil filter.
- Locate the oil pressure sending unit on the engine.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the pressure switch electrical harness.
- Using a pressure switch socket, deep-well socket or wrench, loosen and remove the pressure switch from the engine.
- Install the pressure switch into the engine and tighten securely.
- Attach the electrical connector to the switch.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach operating temperature and check for leaks.
- Check for proper oil pressure switch operation.
The low oil pressure warning lamp will illuminate when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position without the engine running. The lamp also illuminates if the engine oil pressure drops below a safe oil pressure level. To test the system, perform the following:
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- If the lamp does not light, check for a broken or disconnected wire around the engine and oil pressure sending unit switch.
- If the wire at the connector checks out OK, pull the connector loose from the switch and, with a jumper wire, ground the connector to the engine.
With the ignition switch turned to the
position, check the warning lamp. If the lamp still fails to light, check for a burned out lamp or disconnected socket in the instrument cluster.