Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Label and disconnect the spark plug wires.
- Remove the ground strap from the valve cover.
- Disconnect the PCV and breather hoses.
- Remove the valve cover retaining bolts.
- Remove the valve cover from the engine.
Before installing the valve cover, clean the valve cover-to-cylinder head mating surfaces. Inspect the spark plug well seals for swelling or cracking, and replace if necessary.
- Install the new valve cover gasket.
- Apply MOPAR® Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant or equivalent at the camshaft cap corners and at the top edge of the 1 / 2 round seal.
- Place the valve cover into position on top of the cylinder head. Tighten the valve cover retaining bolts in the correct sequence as illustrated. Use the 3-step tightening sequence as follows:
- Connect the PCV and breather hoses.
- Install the coil pack assembly.
- Connect the spark plug wires. Follow the labels to assure correct plug wire connections.
- Attach the ground strap to the valve cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the accessory drive belts and the air conditioning compressor from its mount and support it aside. Remove the alternator and power steering pump from the brackets and move them aside.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely. Remove the right front wheel and the right inner splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft pulleys and the torsional damper.
- Lower the vehicle. Using a floor jack and a block of wood positioned under the oil pan, raise the engine slightly. Remove the engine mount bracket from the timing cover end of the engine.
- Remove the timing belt covers.
- Remove the timing belt as described in the unit repair section in the beginning of this manual.
- Hold the camshaft sprocket using a suitable tool and remove the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt. Remove the sprocket and the inner timing belt cover (left bank) and/or alternator bracket (right bank).
- Label and disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs.
- If removing the left (front) cylinder head, remove the distributor cap and spark plug wires. Mark the position of the rotor and distributor in relation to the cylinder head and remove the distributor. Remove the distributor drive adapter.
Remove the valve cover.
- Install the valve cover.
- Install the inner timing belt cover (left bank) and/or alternator bracket (right bank).
Position the camshaft sprocket. Hold the sprocket using a suitable tool and install the camshaft sprocket bolt. Tighten the bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
NOTEBe sure the timing belt sprocket timing marks are aligned.
- If removed, install the distributor, aligning the marks made during removal. Install the distributor cap and spark plug wires.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the timing belt covers and the engine support bracket.
- Install the torsional damper and tighten the bolt to 112 ft. lbs. (151 Nm). Install the crankshaft pulleys.
- Install the inner splash shield and the right front wheel. Tighten the wheel lug nuts to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm). Lower the vehicle.
- Install the alternator, power steering pump and air conditioning compressor.
- Install the accessory drive belts and adjust to the proper tension.
- Refill the cooling system. Since coolant can contaminate the engine oil when a cylinder head is removed, an oil and filter change is recommended.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks. Check the ignition timing.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the cooling system.
- Remove the intake manifold with the throttle body.
- Disconnect the coil wires, sending unit wire, heater hoses and bypass hose.
- Remove the closed ventilation system, evaporation control system and cylinder head cover(s).
Clean all gasket mating surfaces.
- Install the valve cover with a new gasket. Tighten the valve cover bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Install the exhaust manifold crossover pipe. Tighten the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) and the nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the closed ventilation system and the evaporation control system.
- Reconnect the coil wires, sending unit wire, heater hoses and bypass hose.
- Ensure all wiring connections, cables, hoses, vacuum and fuel lines have been reattached.
- Refill the cooling system to the correct level.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.