The accelerator pedal position sensor contains a low idle switch and a potentiometer that are operated by the accelerator pedal. As the accelerator pedal is depressed, the low idle switch opens and the potentiometer provides a variable voltage signal to the engine control module directly proportional to accelerator pedal position. When the pedal is fully depressed, the voltage signal is high.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Disconnect pedal position sensor electrical connector.
- Remove 2 pedal position sensor retaining nuts.
- Remove pedal position sensor from vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Connect the DRBIII or equivalent scan tool to the vehicle. Turn the ignition ON , engine not running.
- Sweep the sensor through the entire range while monitoring the voltage on the scan tool. The voltage should vary between 0.7-3.5 volts without any spikes or dropouts.
- If the voltage is not within the specified range or is erratic, replace the accelerator pedal position sensor.