The VSS is a two-wire magnetic pickup device that generates an AC signal as rotation occurs. The PCM converts this signal into a pulse per mile signal and sends the vehicle speed message across the communication bus to the BCM. The BCM sends this signal to the instrument cluster to display vehicle speed to the driver. The vehicle speed signal pulse is roughly 8000 pulses per mile.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the VSS.
- On manual transaxles, remove the bolt securing the sensor, then remove the sensor from the transaxle.
- On automatic transaxles, unscrew the sensor from the transaxle case.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use a new o-ring when installing. On manual transaxles, tighten the mounting bolt until just snug. On automatics, tighten the sensor to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).