Removal & Installation
3.3L & 3.8L Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove the timing chain cover as follows:
Negative battery cable
- Rotate the engine so that the timing marks are aligned.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Camshaft sprocket attaching bolt
- Rotate the engine so the timing arrow is at the 12 o-clock position.
- Lubricate the chain and sprockets with clean oil.
- Hold the camshaft sprocket and chain and place the chain around the sprocket aligning the plated link with the dot on the sprocket. Position the timing arrow at the 6 o-clock position.
- Place the chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the plated link lined up with the dot on the sprocket and install the camshaft sprocket.
- Use a straight edge to check the timing alignment marks.
- Align the timing chain colored links with the dots on the timing sprockets.
- Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Rotate the crankshaft 2 revolutions and verify the proper timing chain alignment, if not remove the components and reinstall as described above.
- Clean the timing cover mating surfaces.
Install or the front cover as follows:
New gasket on the cover making sure the lower edge of the gasket is flush to 0.020 inch (0.5mm) past the lower edge of the cover. Rotate the crankshaft so the oil pump drive flats are in a vertical position.
- Fill the engine with clean oil.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Start the engine, check for leaks and repair if necessary.