Removal & Installation
Removal of the instrument panel involves many screws of different sizes. As you work on each individual trim module, tag and bag the screws to ease installation. Refer to the illustrations to aid in identifying the locations of the securing screws and clips. To avoid damaging the panels, use care when prying the panels to detach their securing clips.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
Remove the lower console:
- Remove five retaining screws
- Pull rearward and disconnect the auxiliary power outlet
- Remove lower console from vehicle
- Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the instrument panel frame.
- Remove the bolts attaching the lower supports to the floor pan.
- Remove the both left and right side A-pillar trim covers using a trim stick or equivalent gently pry out on the trim covers and remove.
- Remove the instrument panel top cover.
- Disconnect the wire connectors from the passenger airbag.
- Remove the two screws to each right and left cowl trim covers.
- Remove screws attaching instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.
Remove the glove box:
- Push in on sides of glove box bin and lower door
- Pivot glove box downward and disengage hinge hooks from instrument panel
- Remove glove box from vehicle
- Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.
- Disconnect the right side wire connectors from the HVAC behind the glove box area and the two antenna connectors behind the glove box hinge.
- Remove the right end cover by pulling outboard.
- Remove the right side A-pillar retaining bolts. There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt.
- Loosen the right side cowl side roll down bolt.
- Remove steering column cover.
- Remove the cluster bezel.
- Remove the lower steering column cover and end cap.
- Remove the inflatable knee blocker.
- Remove the two screws to the hood release handle.
- Remove the two steering column fixed shroud retaining screws.
- Remove the four steering column shroud retaining screws. Separate the steering column bearing shroud and steering column shroud and remove from vehicle.
Disconnect the left side wiring:
- Brake switch
- Main bulkhead connector
- Five harness connectors
- Driver airbag connector
- Disconnect the steering column wiring. There are seven connectors and then unclip the harness from the column.
- Disconnect the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) harness connector.
- Remove the three nuts retaining the steering column to the dash panel steering column mounting bracket and lower column to the floor.
- Remove the three nuts attaching the instrument panel to the brake pedal support bracket.
- Remove six instrument panel steering column cover plate attaching screws and remove cover plate. Remove the screws attaching the instrument panel reinforcement and remove.
Remove both the left and right power mirrors:
- Using a trim stick or equivalent, gently pry out on mirror trim cover
- Open door and remove the three retaining screws
- Disconnect the wire connector and remove mirror from the vehicle
- Feed power mirror wire harness inboard through the A-pillar.
- Loosen the left side roll down bolt.
- Remove the left side A-pillar retaining bolts. There are two 13 mm bolts and one 10 mm bolt.
- With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle. Lift the instrument panel up off the HVAC so you won't damage the sealing surface of the distribution duct.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all parts to the new instrument panel assembly.