Removal & Installation
This procedure requires the use of a torque angle meter, special tool J36660A or equivalent and a timing belt adjustment kit, special tool J42069 or equivalent.
Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- Drain the coolant.
- Remove the intake air resonator.
- Remove the front timing belt cover.
Remove the timing belt.
WARNINGAs a precaution, rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to the 60 degrees BTDC position to prevent valve/piston contact.
Insert the J42069 (1) and the J42069 (2) camshaft gear locking tools into the appropriate camshaft gears to hold the gears in place while removing the bolt.
- Remove the camshaft gear bolt.
- Remove the camshaft gear.
- Remove the timing belt tensioner bracket bolts.
- Remove the timing belt tensioner bracket.
- Remove the timing belt idler pulley bolt for camshafts 3 and 4.
- Remove the timing belt idler pulley for camshafts 3 and 4 (2).
- Remove the water pump bolts.
Remove the water pump (1).
Remove the rear timing belt cover bolts.
- Remove the rear timing belt threaded pin.
- Remove the rear timing belt cover.
- Install the rear timing belt cover.
Install the rear timing belt cover bolts and tighten to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Coat the threaded pin with thread locking compound, GM P/N 12345382 or equivalent.
- Install the rear timing belt cover threaded pin and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Clean the water pump sealing surfaces.
- Clean the cylinder block sealing surfaces.
- Coat the seal ring of the water pump with silicone grease, GM P/N 12345579 or equivalent.
- Install the water pump (1).
- Install the water pump bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
Install the timing belt idler pulley for camshafts 3 and 4 (2).
- Install the timing belt idler pulley bolt and tighten the timing belt idler pulley bolt until snug. After the final timing belt adjustment are made the bolt will be tightened to specifications.
- Install the timing belt tensioner bracket.
Install the timing belt tensioner bracket bolts and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
NOTEInstall the numbered camshaft gear slots on the correct camshaft alignment pins, so that the reference marks (1, 2, 3 and 4) are aligned with the notches on the rear timing belt cover. Install the camshaft gears.
WARNINGUse a new camshaft gear bolt. The required tightening method will stretch the bolt, therefore the bolt is not reusable.
- Install the camshaft gear bolt.
- Using the J36660A or equivalent, tighten using the following procedure:
- Camshaft gear. Tighten the new bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm), plus a 60 degree turn, plus a 15 degree turn.
- Turn the crankshaft clockwise back to TDC.
- Install the timing belt.
- Adjust the timing belt.
- Install the front timing belt cover.
- Install the intake air resonator.
- Refill the cooling system and bleed the cooling system.