This procedure requires the use of a hub holding tool, special tool J42066 and a drive axle separator, special tool J42071 or equivalents.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Place the transmission in neutral.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
Install the J42066 or equivalent to the wheel hub flange and secure with wheel bolts.
Remove the wheel drive shaft flange bolts (1) while holding the J42066 stationary.
Separate the wheel drive shaft from the wheel bearing hub flange.
WARNINGEnsure that the beveled side of the tool is against the differential in order to avoid damage to the wheel speed sensor ring.
- Use the J42071 or equivalent to separate the wheel drive shaft from the differential.
- Remove the wheel drive shaft from the vehicle.
- Clean the wheel drive shaft splines.
- Clean the sealing surfaces.
- Lubricate the wheel drive shaft splines with differential lubricant.
Lubricate the sealing surfaces with differential lubricant.
NOTEUse only enough force necessary to seat the wheel drive shaft into the differential.
- Use a soft faced mallet to drive the wheel drive