- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disable the SIR system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove the heater hose quick connects from the heater core pipes by performing the following procedure:
- At the passenger side, raise the air inlet screen and open the access door near the pollen filter.
- Unlock the quick connect collars by squeezing the tabs and carefully pulling back on the tabs to disconnect the sleeve.
If green assembly marks are attached, discard them.
WARNINGThe front wheels must be maintained in the straight-ahead position and the steering column must be in the LOCK position. Failure to do so will cause improper alignment of some components during installation and may result to damage to the SIR coil assembly.
Remove the steering column by removing or disconnecting the following:
WARNINGHandle the steering column with care for it is very susceptible to damage. Dropping, leaning or hammering on it could cause damage to its collapsible design.
Instrument panel driver knee bolster energy absorber and sound insulator
Remove the instrument panel carrier by removing or disconnecting the following:
NOTEIt is not necessary to physically remove the instrument panel but it is necessary to pull the carrier rearward to enable the heater core to be removed from its housing.
Windshield pillar moldings
Blower motor housing screws and the housing with the motor
Install or connect the following:
Rubber seal and heater core into the heater housing; be careful not to damage the fins
Remove the steering column by installing or connecting the following:
Steering column into the vehicle, through the dash panel and into the lower steering coupling
Connect the heater hoses to the heater core pipes by performing the following procedure:
- If not attached to the quick connect, discard the green assembly marker(s).
- Push the quick connects into the pipes until they are fully seated.
- Squeeze the locking tabs and press the retaining sleeve into the locked position.
- At the passenger side, close the access door near the pollen filter and lower the air inlet screen.
Refill the cooling system by performing the following procedure:
- Add a 50/50 mixture of water and DEX-COOL® antifreeze to the KALT/COLD mark (seam) on the surge tank.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1 min.
- Add more coolant to the surge tank as necessary.
- Install the radiator sure tank cap.
Cycle the engine, from idle to 3000 rpm, in 30 second intervals, until the engine reaches normal operating temperatures.
NOTEThe cooling system will bleed itself automatically during warm-up.
- Turn the engine OFF and recheck the coolant level when the engine is cool
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Enable the SIR system.
- Reprogram the necessary accessories.