Removal & Installation
Remove the transmission.
- Remove the clutch cover bolts one turn at a time, until spring pressure is relieved.
- Remove the clutch cover and the clutch disc.
- Align the Heavy Side of the flywheel assembly (stamped with an X), with the clutch cover Light Side (marked with paint).
Install the special tool J29074-A in order to support the clutch cover to the flywheel assembly.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the clutch cover to flywheel bolts.
Follow the tightening sequence. Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Remove the special tool J29074-A .
- Lubricate the inside diameter of the bearing with GM P/N 12345777, or equivalent.
- Install the transmission.
- Bleed the hydraulic system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- If any of the parts are to be reused, mark the pressure plate assembly and the flywheel so they can be assembled in the same position.
- Loosen the attaching bolts 1 turn at a time until spring tension is relieved.
- Support the pressure plate and remove the bolts.
Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc as an assembly.
NOTEDo not disassemble the pressure plate assembly. Replace it if defective.
- Install the pressure plate and clutch disc assembly, supporting it with a clutch aligning tool.
Torque the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts, gradually, in a cross pattern, as follows:
- Step 1: Lightly seat all bolts.
- Step 2: Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Lubricate the outside groove and the inside recess of the release bearing with high temperature grease.
Install or connect the following:
- Bleed clutch system as necessary and road test vehicle.