Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONThis vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:
Air bag deployment
In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
- Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Remove the steering wheel inflatable restraint module.
Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Remove the steering wheel using the special tool J1859-A.
- Remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
Install the steering wheel to the column.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the steering wheel nut and tighten the steering wheel nut to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel module.
- Enable the SIR system, as outlined in the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Connect the negative battery cable.