Removal & Installation
Remove the primary and secondary timing chains.
NOTEThe balance shaft and gear are serviced as an assembly. Do not attempt to remove the gear from the balance shaft. Remove the retaining bolt from the counterbalance shaft thrust plate.
- Using Special Tool 8641 Counterbalance shaft remover/installer tool, remove the counterbalance shaft from the engine .
The balance shaft and gear are serviced as an assembly. Do not attempt to remove the gear from the balance shaft.
Coat counterbalance shaft bearing journals with clean engine oil.
NOTEThe balance shaft is heavy, and care should be used when installing shaft, so bearings are not damaged.
- Using Special Tool 8641 Counterbalance shaft remover/installer tool, carefully install counterbalance shaft into engine .
- Install Counterbalance shaft thrust plate retaining bolt finger tight. Do not tighten bolt at this time.
- Position the right side of the thrust plate with the right chain guide bolt, install bolt finger tight.
- Torque the thrust plate retaining bolt to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm).
- Remove the chain guide bolt so that guide can be installed.
Remove the primary and secondary timing chains and sprockets.
NOTETo remove the idler shaft, it is necessary to tap threads into the shaft, to install the removal tool.
- Using a 12mm x 1.75 tap, cut threads in the idler shaft center bore.
Cover the radiator core with a suitable cover.
CAUTIONUse care when removing the idler shaft, Do not strike the radiator cooling fins with the slide hammer.
- Using Special Tool 8517 Slide Hammer, remove the idler shaft.
- Thoroughly clean the idler shaft bore.
Position the idler shaft in the bore.
NOTEThe two lubrication holes in the idler shaft do not require any special alignment.
NOTEBefore using the retaining bolt to install the idler shaft, coat the threads and the pilot on the idler shaft, with clean engine oil.
- Using the primary idler sprocket retaining bolt and washer, carefully draw the idler shaft into the bore until fully seated.
- Coat the idler shaft with clean engine oil.
- Install the timing chains and sprockets.