Removal & Installation
The combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure Regulator is located on the fuel pump module. The fuel pump module is located on top of fuel tank. The filter/regulator may be removed without removing fuel pump module although fuel tank must be removed.
- Remove fuel tank.
- Clean area around filter/regulator.
- Disconnect fuel line at filter/regulator.
- Remove retainer clamp from top of filter/regulator Clamp snaps to tabs on pump module. Discard old clamp.
- Pry filter/regulator from top of pump module with 2 screwdrivers. Unit is snapped into module.
- Discard gasket below filter/regulator
Before discarding filter/regulator assembly, inspect assembly to verify that O-rings are intact. If the smallest of the two O-rings can not be found on bottom of filter/regulator, it may be necessary to remove it from the fuel inlet passage in fuel pump module
- Clean recessed area in pump module where filter/regulator is to be installed.
- Obtain new filter/regulator (two new O-rings should already be installed)
- Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to O-rings. Do not install O-rings separately into fuel pump module. They will be damaged when installing filter/regulator.
- Install new gasket to top of fuel pump module.
- Press new filter/regulator into top of pump module until it snaps into position (a positive click must be heard or felt)
- The arrow molded into top of fuel pump module should be pointed towards front of vehicle (12 o'clock position)
- Rotate filter/regulator until fuel supply tube (fitting) is pointed towards front of vehicle (12 o'clock position)
- Install new retainer clamp (clamp snaps over top of filter/regulator and locks to flanges on pump module)
- Connect fuel line at filter/regulator.
- Install fuel tank.
The combination fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator is remotely mounted to the vehicle body, above the rear axle and near the front of the fuel tank.
- Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
- Raise vehicle.
- Clean area around 3 filter/regulator fittings.
- Disconnect fuel supply, fuel return and fuel pressure lines at filter/regulator
Remove 2 mounting bolts and remove filter/regulator.
- Before installing filter/regulator, be sure all fittings are cleaned of all dirt and contaminants.
- Be sure O-ring is positioned into fuel return fitting in filter/regulator.
- Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to O-rings.
- Position filter/regulator to body and install 2 bolts. Tighten bolts.
- Connect 3 fittings.
- Connect negative battery cable to battery.
- Start engine and check for leaks.