- Clean the CV joint then apply new grease to the joint
- Slide the new boot on to the shaft and on the CV housing .
- Install boot clamps in original locations
- Install inner CV joint and boot.
CV-joints are serviced only as an assembly, as are halfshafts.
Some Grand Cherokees have front drive shafts that are equipped with CV-joints. The front driveshaft and CV-joints are serviced only as an assembly.Inner CV-Joint & Boot
- Clamp shaft in a vise (with soft jaws) and support C/V joint.
- Remove clamps with a cut-off wheel or grinder.
- Slide boot down the shaft.
- Remove lubricant from housing to expose the C/V snap ring and remove snap ring.
- Remove bearings from the cage .
- Rotate cage 30° and slide cage off the inner race and down the shaft.
- Remove spread inner race snap ring and remove race from the shaft.
- Remove boot from the shaft and discard.
- Clean and inspect housing , cage , bearings , housing snap-ring , inner race snap-ring and inner race for wear or damage.
- Apply a coat of grease supplied with the joint/boot to the C/V joint components before assembling them
- Place new clamps on the new boot and slide boot down the shaft.
- Slide cage onto the shaft with the small diameter end towards the boot
- Install the inner race onto the shaft . Pull on the race to verify snap ring has engaged.
- Align cage with the inner race and slide over the race.
- Turn the cage 30° to align the cage windows with the race .
- Apply grease to the inner race and bearings and install the bearings.
- Apply grease to the housing bore then install the bearing assembly into the housing .
- Install the housing snap ring and verify it is seated in the groove.
- Fill the housing and boot with the remaining grease.
- Slide the boot onto the C/V housing into it-s original position. Ensure boot is not twisted and remove any excess air
- Secure both boot clamps with Clamp Installer C-4975A. Place tool on clamp bridge and tighten tool until the jaws of the tool are closed.