Removal & Installation
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.
- Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
- If equipped with an automatic transmission, place shifter in PARK position.
- Rotate key to ON position.
- A release tang is located on bottom of key cylinder.
- Position a small screwdriver or pin punch into tang access hole on bottom of steering column lower cover.
Push the pin punch up while pulling key cylinder from steering column.
- The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.
- If equipped with an automatic transmission, place the shifter in PARK position.
- Position the key cylinder into the steering column as it would normally be in the ON position.
- Press the key cylinder into column until it snaps into position.
- Check the mechanical operation of switch. Automatic Transmission: Be sure transmission lever is locked in PARK position after key removal. If key is difficult to rotate or is difficult to remove, the shift lever-to-steering column cable may be out of adjustment or defective. Manual Transmission: Be sure key cannot be removed until release lever is operated. If key can be removed, release lever mechanism may be defective. Release lever mechanism is not serviced separately. If repair is necessary, the steering column must be replaced.
- Connect the negative cable to the battery.
- Check the electrical operation of the switch.
The key lock cylinder may be removed without removing the switch assembly, although the original ignition key must be used.
- Disconnect negative cable from battery.
- Use a plastic trim removal stick to remove switch bezel . Bezel snaps on.
- To remove key lock cylinder from housing , rotate key to ON position while pressing on release tab . This tab is located on the right side of the switch assembly.
- Pull key lock cylinder from housing for removal.
- Install ignition key into lock cylinder . Rotate key to ON position (retaining tab on side of lock cylinder can now be depressed).
- The shaft at end of key lock cylinder aligns with socket within end of housing. To align socket with lock cylinder, ensure socket is in ON position.
- Position and align key lock cylinder with grooves in housing.
- Slide lock cylinder into housing until release tab sticks through opening at side of housing.
- Install bezel.
- Connect negative battery cable.