- Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position and lock the steering wheel in position.
CAUTIONBe certain to lock the steering wheel in position prior to disconnecting the steering column coupler. This will prevent clock spring damage.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Remove the front splash from the vehicle.
- Drain or siphon the power steering fluid.
- Disconnect and cap the power steering pressure and return lines from the steering gear.
- Remove the steering column coupler pinch bolt. Located just to the rear of the fluid lines.
- Separate the steering shaft from the gearbox by pulling straight apart.
- Remove the Pitman arm from the steering gear.
- Remove the steering gear retaining bolts and remove the gear from the vehicle.
- Position the steering gear on the frame rail and Install the steering gear retaining bolts. Torque to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install the steering column shaft coupler on the steering gear and install a new pinch bolt. Torque the bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Install the Pitman arm on the steering gear. Torque the nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm).
- Install the power steering pressure and return lines on the steering gear. Torque the lines to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the front splash on the vehicle.
- Lower the vehicle on the hoist.
- Fill the power steering system to the proper level.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check and correct the vehicle front end alignment specifications if necessary.
- Before servicing the vehicle, please familiarize yourself with safety procedures.
- Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Drain the power steering system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Steering gear. Tighten the bolts to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Fill and bleed the power steering fluid reservoir.
- Start the engine, check for leaks and repair if necessary.