REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This is the big joint at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft.
- Remove the front driveshaft from the truck.
- Remove the rear trunnion snapring from the center yoke.
- Remove the grease fitting.
- Place the joint in a vise.
- Drive one rear trunnion bearing cap from the center yoke until it protrudes approximately 3 / 8 in.
- Release the vise and grasp the protruding portion of the cup in a vise and strike the center yoke until the cup is removed. Remove the cup seal with a thin screwdriver.
- Repeat Steps 4, 5, and 6 for the remaining bearing cup.
- When the center yoke cups have been removed, remove the rear yoke half bearing cups.
- Remove the rear trunnion.
- Remove the rear yoke half from the driveshaft by gently pulling it off. Remove all loose needle bearings and the spring seal.
- Remove the front trunnion from the center yoke and the front yoke in the manner previously described. Remove all four bearing cups before the trunnions are removed.
- Clean and inspect all needle bearings, cups, seals, trunnions, fittings, and yokes.
- Assemble the needle bearings in the cups (27 per cap). Assemble the needle bearings in the front yoke (28 total). Use heavy grease to retain the bearing rollers. Install the seals in the bearing cups.
- Install the front trunnion in the driveshaft, and install the center yoke in the front trunnion.
- Install one bearing cup and seal assembly in the front yoke. Drive it into position so that the snapring can be installed. Install the snapring and the remaining cup and seal in the front yoke. Install the other snapring.
- Install the front trunnion bearing cups in the center yoke in the same manner.
- With the front trunnion completely installed, install the seal on the driveshaft with the large face first. Gently slip the rear yoke half on the driveshaft using care not to disturb the rollers. Insert the rear trunnion into the center yoke.
- Install the rear yoke half bearing caps on the rear trunnion. Install one rear trunnion bearing cap in the center yoke and press it into the yoke until the snapring can be installed. Install the remaining cap and snapring.
- Grease the joint as outlined under chassis greasing in .
- Install the driveshaft with the constant velocity joint at the transfer case end.