REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the battery ground cable at the battery.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Disconnect and tag all wires at the solenoid terminal.
1975-82 starters do not require the "R" terminal. The High Energy Ignition System does not need a cable from solenoid to ignition coil.
- Reinstall all nuts as soon as they are removed, since the thread sizes are different.
- Remove the front bracket from the starter and the two mounting bolts. On engines with a solenoid heat shield, remove the front bracket upper bolt and detach the bracket from the starter.
- Remove the front bracket bolt or nut. Lower the starter front end first, and remove it from the truck.
- Reverse the removal procedures to install the starter. Tighten the two mounting bolts to 25-35 ft. lbs.
- Disconnect the field coil connectors from the starter motor solenoid terminal.
- Remove the through bolts.
- Remove the end frame and the field frame from the driving housing.
- Disassemble the brush assembly from the field frame by releasing the spring and removing the supporting pin. Pull the brushes and the brush holders out and disconnect the wiring.
- Install the new brushes into the holders.
- Assemble the brush holder using the spring and position the unit on the supporting pin.
- Install the unit in the starter motor and attach the wiring.
- Position the field frame over the armature.
- Install the through bolts.
- Connect the field coil connectors to the solenoid.
- Remove the starter motor as previously outlined.
- Disconnect the field coil connections from the solenoid terminal.
- Remove the through bolts.
- Remove the commutator end frame and the field frame assembly from the housing.
- Remove the armature assembly from the housing. On some models it may be necessary to remove the solenoid and the shift lever assembly from the housing first.
- Remove the thrust collar from the shaft.
- Slide a small piece of 1 / 2 inch pipe over the end of the shaft so the end of the pipe butts against the edge of the retainer. Carefully tap the end of the pipe with a hammer, driving the retainer towards the armature end of the snapring.
- Remove the snapring from the groove.
- Slide the retainer and clutch off the shaft.
- Slide the drive assembly onto the armature shaft after it has been lubricated with a silicone lubricant.
- The retainer is positioned on the shaft with the cupped surface facing away from the pinion.
- Place the snapring over the end of the shaft and slide it into its groove.
- Place the thrust collar on the shaft with its shoulder next to the snapring.
- Using two pliers, one on either side, force the snapring into the retainer.
- Lubricate the drive housing bushing and slide the armature shaft into the starter housing.
- Assemble the commutator end of the starter after lubricating the bushing and placing the leather brake washer in position.
- Remove the screw and washer from the motor connector strap terminal.
- Remove the two solenoid retaining screws.
- Twist the housing clockwise to remove the flange key from the keyway in the housing. Then remove the housing.
- Place the return spring on the plunger and place the solenoid body on the drive housing. Turn counterclockwise to engage the flange key. Place the two retaining screws in position and install the screw and washer which secures the strap terminal. Install the unit on the starter.