REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the radiator and loosen the fan pulley bolts.
- Disconnect the heater hose and radiator. Disconnect the lower radiator hose at the water pump.
- Loosen the alternator swivel bolt and remove the fan belt. Remove the fan bolts, fan and pulley.
- Remove the water pump attaching bolts and remove the pump and gasket from the engine. On six cylinder engines, remove the water pump straight out of the block to avoid damaging the impeller.
Do not store viscous drive fan clutches in any other position than the normal installed position. They should be supported so that the clutch disc remains vertical; otherwise, silicone fluid may leak out.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Clean gasket surfaces and install new gaskets. Coat the gasket with sealer. A 5 / 16 inch X 24 X 1 inch guide stud installed in one hole of the fan will make installing the fan onto the hub easier. It can be removed after the other 3 bolts are started. Fill the cooling system and adjust the fan belt tension.
- Disconnect the batteries.
- Remove the fan and the fan shroud.
- Drain the radiator. If equipped with A/C, remove the A/C hose bracket nuts.
- Remove the oil filler tube.
- Remove the alternator pivot bolt and then remove the drive belt. Remove the lower bracket.
- Remove the power steering belt. Remove the power steering pump and position it out of the way.
- Remove the AC belt if so equipped.
- Disconnect the by-pass hose and the lower radiator hose.
- Unscrew the water pump mounting bolts. Remove the water pump plate and the water pump.
- If the water pump gasket is to be repaired, remove the plate attaching bolts to the water pump and replace the gasket.
- All flanges must be free of oil. Apply anarobic sealer as shown in the illustration. The sealer must still be wet to the touch when the bolts are torqued.
- Attach the water pump and plate assembly.
- Connect the by-pass hose and the lower radiator hose.
- Install the power steering pump and the alternator. Adjust all drive belts.
- Install the oil filler tube.
- Install the fan shroud and the fan.
- Fill system with coolant, connect batteries start the engine and check for leaks.