- Remove the axle shaft.
- Squeeze the ends of the trunnion bearings in a vise to relieve the load on the snaprings. Remove the snaprings.
- Support the yoke in a vise and drive on one end of the trunnion bearing with a brass drift enough to drive the opposite bearing from the yoke.
- Support the other side of the yoke and drive the other bearing out.
- Remove the trunnion.
- Clean and check all parts. You can buy U-joint repair kits to replace all the wearing parts.
- Lubricate the bearings with wheel bearing grease.
- Replace the trunnion and press the bearings into the yoke and over the trunnion hubs far enough to install the lock rings.
- Hold the trunnion in one hand and tap the yoke lightly to seat the bearings against the lock rings.
- The axle slingers can be pressed off the shafts.
Always replace the slingers if the spindle seals are replaced.
You can use the spindle to start the slinger on the shaft.
- Replace the shaft.