REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support it so that there is no tension on the leaf spring assembly.
- Loosen the spring-to-shackle retaining bolts. (Do not remove these bolts.)
- Remove the securing bolts which attach the shackle to the spring hanger.
- Remove the nut and bolt which attach the spring to the front hanger.
- Remove the U-bolt nuts and remove the spring plate.
- Pull the spring from the vehicle.
- If the bushings need to be replaced, they must be pressed in and out.
- Place the spring assembly onto the axle housing.
The shackle assembly must be attached to the rear spring eye before the rear shackle is installed.
- Position the spring retaining plate and the U-bolts (loosely).
- Install the rear shackle bolt and nut, then the front eye bolt and nut. Tighten the bolts to 90 ft. lbs. for 1969-72 models, and 110 ft. lbs. for 1973-82 models.
Aftermarket kits, consisting of longer axle U-bolts and blocks to be placed between the spring and axle, are available to adjust the rear ride height. If this modification is carried to extremes, the front end caster angle and rear end stability will be affected.