REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except NP208 Models
- Raise and support the truck.
- Drain the transfer case.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, back-up light switch, and the TCS switch.
- If necessary, remove the skid plate and crossmember supports.
- Disconnect the front and rear driveshafts and support them out of the way.
- On the Dana 20, remove the clevis pin from the connecting link between the transfer case and control adaptor and disconnect the shifter shafts.
- On New Process 205 models, disconnect the shift lever rod from the shift rail link.
On New Process 203 full time models, disconnect the shift levers at the transfer case.
- Remove the transfer case-to-frame mounting bolts.
- Support the transfer case and remove the bolts attaching the transfer case to transmission adapter.
- Move the transfer case to the rear until the input shaft clears the adapter and lower the transfer case from the truck.
- Lifting the transfer case on a transmission jack, attach the case to the adapter.
- Remove the transmission jack and install the transfer case-to-frame rail bolts. Make certain to bend the locking tabs after installation.
- Connect the shift linkage.
- Connect the front driveshaft to the front transfer case output shaft and the rear drive shaft to the rear output shaft.
- Install the crossmember and skid plate, if equipped.
- Connect the speedometer cable, backup light and TCS switches.
- Fill the transfer case to the proper level with lubricant (specified in ).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Place the transfer case in 4H.
- Raise the vehicle.
- Drain the lubricant from the transfer case.
- Remove the cotter pin from the shift lever swivel.
- Mark the transfer case front and rear output shaft yokes and propeller shafts for assembly alignment reference.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable and indicator switch wires.
- Disconnect the front propeller shaft at the transfer case yoke.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable guide from the pivot located on right frame rail, if necessary.
- Remove the engine strut rod from the transfer case on automatic transmission models.
- Place a support under the transfer case and remove the transfer case-to-transmission adapter bolts.
- Move the transfer case assembly rearward until free of the transmission output shaft and remove the assembly.
- Remove all gasket material from the rear of the transmission adapter housing.
- Install the transmission-to-transfer case gasket on the transmission.
- Shift the transfer case to 4H position if not done previously.
- Rotate the transfer case output shaft (by turning yoke) until the transmission output shaft gear engages the transfer case input shaft. Move the transfer case forward until the case seats against the transmission. Be sure the transfer case is flush against the transmission. Severe damage to the transfer case will result if the attaching bolts are tightened while the transfer case is cocked or in a bind.
- Install the transfer case attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 30 ft. lbs.
- Connect the speedometer driven gear to the transfer case.
- Connect the front and rear propeller shafts to the transfer case. Be sure to align the shafts-to-yokes using the reference marks made during removal. Tighten the shaft-to-yoke clamp strap nuts to 15 ft. lbs.
- Remove the support stand from under the transfer case.
- Connect the parking brake cable if disconnected.
- Attach the cotter pin to the shift lever swivel.
- Connect the engine strut to the transfer case on automatic models.
- Fill the transfer case with Dexron® II.
- Lower the vehicle.