The transmission has a cable between the carburetor linkage and the transmission which provides transmission downshifting.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disengage the snap lock by pushing up on the bottom. Release the lock and cable.
- Disconnect the snap lock assembly from the bracket by compressing the locking tabs.
- Disconnect the cable from the carburetor.
- Remove the clamp around the oil filler tube. Remove the screw and the washer that secure the cable to the transmission and disconnect the cable.
- Install a new seal on the cable and lubricate it with transmission fluid.
- Connect the transmission end of the cable and attach it to the transmission with the screw and washer.
- Feed the cable in front of the oil filler tube and attach it to the tube with the clamp.
- Feed the cable through the mounting bracket and snap lock assembly and attach it to the carburetor lever.
- With the cable attached to both the transmission and the carburetor lever, move the carburetor lever to the wide open throttle position. Push the snap lock flush and return carburetor lever to normal position.
- Install the air cleaner.
- After installation of the cable to the transmission, engine bracket, and throttle lever, check to assure that the cable slider is in the zero or fully re-adjusted position. (if not refer to the re-adjustment procedure which follows).
- Rotate the throttle lever to the Full Travel Stop position.
- After installation into the transmission, install the cable fitting into the engine bracket.
The slider must not ratchet through the fitting before or during assembly into the bracket. If this condition exist use the readjustment procedure which follows.
- Install the cable terminal to the fuel injection pump lever.
- Open the injection pump lever to the Full Throttle Stop position to automatically adjust the slider on the cable to the correct setting.
The lock tab must not be depressed during this operation.
- Release the injection pump lever.
In case re-adjustment is necessary because of inadvertent adjustment before or during assembly, or for repair, perform the following:
- Depress and hold the metal re-adjust tab.
- Move the slider back through the fitting in direction away from the throttle lever until the slider stops against the fitting.
- Release the metal re-adjust tab.
- Repeat Step 2 of the preceding adjustment procedure.
In case re-adjustment is necessary because of inadvertent adjustment during assembly, or for repair, perform the following:
- Depress and hold the metal lock tab.
- Move the slider back through the fitting in the direction away from the throttle lever until the slider stops against the fitting.
- Release the metal lock tab.
- Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 of the preceding adjustment procedure.