REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure will require the use of two special tools: a gear puller (J-22888) and a fixing plate (J-29761). It is a long and complicated procedure and must be performed in conjunction with the following injection timing procedure. We do not suggest that the average amateur mechanic perform these procedures.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system. Remove the fan shroud, radiator and coolant recovery tank.
- Disconnect the bypass hose leading from the front cover and then remove the upper half of the front cover.
Fan removal may facilitate better access to certain front cover retaining bolts.
- Loosen the timing belt tension pulley and plate bolts. Slide the tensioner over.
- Unscrew the two retaining bolts and remove tension spring from behind the front plate, by the injection pump.
- Remove the injection pump gear retaining nut and then remove the gear with a gear puller.
- Tag and disconnect any wires, hoses or cables leading from the pump. Disconnect and plug the fuel feed lines.
- Remove the fuel filter. Disconnect the injector lines at the pump and at the injector nozzles and remove the lin