REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the driveshaft.
- For reassembly purposes, scribe a line on the transmission end of the driveshaft and on the slip yoke. Remove the snaprings from the trunnion yoke.
- Support the trunnion yoke on a piece of 1 1 / 4 " ID pipe on an arbor press or bench vise. Use a suitable socket or rod to press on the trunnion until the bearing cup is almost out. Grasp the cup in the vise and work the cup out of the yoke. Press the trunnion in the opposite direction to remove the other cup.
- Clean and inspect the dust seals, bearing rollers, and trunnions. Lubricate the bearings. Make sure that the lubricant reservoir at the end of each trunnion is completely filled with lubricant. A squeeze bottle is recommended to fill the reservoirs from the bottom to prevent air pockets.
- When installing a U-joint rebuilding kit, place the dust seals on the trunnions with the cavities of the seals toward the end of the trunnions. Use caution when pressing the seals onto the trunnions to prevent seal distortion and to assure proper seal seating.
Install the transmission yoke on the front of the driveshaft as marked in Step 2. If this is not done, driveline vibration may result.
- To assemble, position the trunnion into the yoke. Partially install one bearing cup into the yoke and start the trunnion into the bearing cup. Partially install the other cup, align the trunnion into the cup, and press the cups into the yoke.
- Install the snaprings.
- Install the driveshaft.