REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The camshaft is supported on five bearings surfaces in the cam carrier, located on top of the cylinder head. Bearing inserts are not used.Gasoline Engine
A special valve spring compressor is necessary for this procedure. Also, if replacing camshaft or rocker arms, prelube new parts with Molykote or its equivalent.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove engine accessory drive belts.
- Remove the engine fan and pulley.
- Remove the upper and lower front timing belt covers.
- Loosen the idler pulley and remove the timing belt from the camshaft sprocket.
- Remove the camshaft sprocket attaching bolt and washer and remove the camshaft sprocket.
- Remove the camshaft covers. Using the special valve spring compressor, remove the valve rocker arms and guides. Keep the rocker arms and guides in order so that they can be installed in their original locations.
- Remove any components necessary to gain working clearance.
The heater assembly will probably have to be removed from the firewall to gain working clearance.
- Remove the camshaft carrier rear cover.
- Remove the camshaft thrust plate bolts. Slide the camshaft slightly to the rear and remove the thrust plate.
- Remove the engine mount nuts and wire retainers.
- Using a floor jack, raise the engine.
- Remove the camshaft from the camshaft carrier.
- Install the camshaft into the camshaft carrier.
- Lower the engine.
- Install the engine mount nuts and attach the retaining wires.
- Slide the camshaft to the rear and install thrust plate. Slide the camshaft forward.
- Position and align a new gasket over the end of the camshaft, against the camshaft carrier. Using RTV sealer, install the camshaft carrier rear cover.
- Position and align a new gasket over the end of the camshaft, against the camshaft carrier, and install the upper rear timing belt cover.
- Install any components which were removed to gain working clearance.
- Install the valve rocker arms and guides in their original locations using the special valve spring compressor. Install the camshaft covers.
- Align the dowel in the camshaft sprocket with the hole in the end of the camshaft and install the sprocket.
- Apply Locktite® sealer or its equivalent to the sprocket retaining bolt threads and install the bolt and washer. Torque the sprocket retaining bolt to 65-85 ft. lbs.
- Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise to bring the #1 cylinder to top dead center. Check to make sure the distributor rotor is in firing position from #1 cylinder. Place a 1 / 8 " drill rod through the cam sprocket quick check hole into the hole in the upper timing belt cover. If the holes do not line up, loosen the timing belt and rotate the camshaft until it is properly aligned.
- Adjust timing belt tension as outlined in Timing Belt and Sprocket Removal and Installation.
- Install the upper and lower front timing belt covers.
- Install the engine fan and pulley.
- Install the engine accessory drive belts.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
In order to complete this procedure you will need a gear puller (J-22888) and a fixing plate (J-29761).
- Remove the cylinder head cover.
- Remove the timing belt as previously detailed. Remove the plug.
- Install the fixing plate into the slot at the rear of the camshaft.
- Remove the camshaft gear retaining bolt and then use a puller to remove the cam gear.
- Remove the rocker arms and shaft as previously detailed.
- Unscrew the bolts attaching the front head plate and then remove the plate.
- Unscrew the camshaft bearing cap retaining bolts and remove the bearing caps with the cap side bearings.
- Lift out the camshaft oil seal and then remove the camshaft.
- Coat the cam and cylinder head journals with clean engine oil.
- Position the camshaft back in the cylinder head with a new oil seal.
- Apply a suitable liquid gasket to the cylinder head face of the No. 1 camshaft bearing cap.
- Install the remaining bearing caps. Install the rocker arm shaft assembly leaving the adjusting screws loose.
- Install the front head plate.
- Install the timing belt as previously detailed.
- Adjust the valve clearance to specifications and then install the cylinder head cover.