REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Drain cooling system.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Remove air cleaner.
- Disconnect upper radiator and heater hoses at intake manifold.
- Remove the EGR valve, located on the intake manifold.
- Disconnect all electrical wiring vacuum hoses and the accelerator linkage from the carburetor. Remove the fuel line from the carburetor.
- If vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, perform the following operations before continuing.
- Remove radiator upper support.
- Remove the generator and air conditioning drive belts, including the two air conditioning adjusting bolts.
- Remove fan blade and pulley.
- Remove the timing belt cover.
- Move the compressor so it is out of the way. CAUTION: Do not disconnect any of the tubing in the air conditioning system as personal injury may result.
- Raise the vehicle and remove the lower air conditioning compressor bracket.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the upper air conditioning compressor bracket.
- Remove the coil and set aside.
- Remove the intake manifold bolts and remove manifold.
If a new intake manifold is being installed, transfer the following parts from the old one.
Thermostat and housingCarburetorVacuum fittings and plugs
- With the new gasket, and gasket surface well cleaned, install the new manifold.
- Install manifold bolts and torque to 20 Nm (15 ft. lbs.).
- Remount the coil.
- For vehicles equipped with air conditioning, the following steps must be completed before continuing.
- Install the upper air conditioning compressor bracket.
- Raise the vehicle and install the lower air conditioning compressor bracket.
- Lower the vehicle and install the air conditioning compressor.
- Install the timing bolt cover.
- Install the pulley and fan blades.
- Install the air conditioning drive belt, two adjusting bolts and adjust as necessary.
- Install the generator drive belt and adjust as necessary.
- Install the radiator upper support.
- Connect all electrical wiring, vacuum hoses and accelerator linkage to the carburetor. Install the fuel line to the carburetor.
- Install the EGR valve. Torque to 13-18 ft. lbs.
- Connect the upper radiator and heater hoses to intake manifold.
- Refill the cooling system.
- Install the air cleaner.
- Connect the battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the fresh air hose and the vent hose. Remove the fuel separator.
- Tag and disconnect all electrical connectors, the accelerator linkage and the glow plug wires.
- Disconnect the injector lines at the injection pump and at the injector nozzles. Remove the injector lines and the hold-down clamps.
- Remove the glow plug line at the cylinder head.
- If equipped with power steering, remove the drive belt, the idler pulley and the bracket.
- Remove the upper half of the front cover and the bracket.
- Unscrew the mounting bolts and remove the intake manifold.
- Place a new gasket over the mounting studs on the cylinder head and install the manifold. Tighten the bolts to 30 ft. lbs.
- Installation of the remaining components is the reverse order of removal.