REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
A special valve spring compressor is necessary for this procedure. (Tool No. J-25477)
- Remove the rocker arm from the valve to be serviced.
- Remove the spark plug from the cylinder to be serviced.
- Install an air hose adapter in the spark plug hole and apply air pressure to hold the valve in place.
- Using the spring compressor, compress the valve spring, remove the rocker arm guide, valve locks, caps and valve spring.
- Remove the valve stem oil seal.
- Install the new valve stem oil seal.
- Compress the valve spring and cap and install the valve locks and rocker arm guide.
- Release the compressor while making sure that the locks seat correctly in the upper groove of the valve stem. Grease can be used to hold the locks while releasing the compressor.
- Remove the air hose adapter, install the spark plug, and install the rocker arm.
- Remove rocker arm cover as previously outlined.
- Remove rocker arm shaft and bracket assembly as outlined under Rocker Arm removal and Installation.
- Rotate engine to T.D.C. for cylinder being serviced.
- Remove valve stem end caps.
- Compress valve spring using tool J-29760. Remove valve collets and remove valve spring upper seat and valve springs.
- Remove valve stem oil seal.
- Remove valve spring lower seat.
- Lubricate valve stem and valve spring lower seat with clean engine oil.
- Install new seal over valve stem and onto valve guide. Check that projection on inner face of oil seal fits onto the groove in the valve guide.
- Install inner and outer springs and upper seat. Compress valve springs using Spring Compressing Tool J-29760 and install valve spring retainers. Remove tool and inspect to make sure retainers are fully seated in valve stem groove.
- Apply valve stem end caps with clean engine oil and install stem and caps.
- Reinstall rocker arm shaft and bracket assembly.