REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove engine drive belt(s).
- Remove the engine fan, spacer (air conditioned models) and the pulley.
- Remove the timing belt front cover by removing the two upper bolts, center bolt and two lower nuts.
- Drain the coolant from the engine.
- Remove the lower radiator hose and the heater hose at the water pump.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley so that the mark on the pulley is aligned with the 0 mark on the timing scale and that a 1 / 8 " drill bit can be inserted through the timing belt upper cover and cam gear.
- Remove the idler pulley and pull the timing belt off the gear. Don't disturb crankshaft position.
- Remove the water pump retaining bolts and remove the pump and gasket from the engine.
- Clean all the old gasket material from the cylinder case.
- With a new gasket in place on the water pump, position the water pump in place on the cylinder case and install the water pump retaining bolts.
- Install the timing belt onto the cam gear.
- Apply sealer to the idler pulley attaching bolt and install the bolt and the idler pulley. Turn the idler pulley counterclockwise on its mounting bolt to remove the slack in the timing belt.
- Use a tension gauge to adjust timing belt tension. Check belt tension midway between the tensioner and the cam sprocket on the idler pulley side. Correct belt tension is 55 lbs. for 1976, 70 lbs. for 1977 and later. Torque the idler pulley mounting bolt to 13-18 ft. lbs.
- Remove the 1 / 8 " drill bit from the upper timing belt cover and cam gear.
- Install the lower radiator hose and the heater hose to the water pump.
- Install the timing belt front cover.
- Install the water pump pulley, spacer (if equipped) and engine fan.
- Install the engine drive belt(s).
- Refill the cooling system.
- Connect the battery negative cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the cooling system.
- Remove the fan shroud, fan assembly and the accessory drive belts.
- Unscrew the retaining bolts and remove the damper pulley.
- Remove the upper and lower halves of the front cover and then remove the bypass hose at the pump.
- Unscrew the pump retaining bolts and remove the pump assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.