REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the door check link to support the attaching rivet by punching out the rivet center pin and then drilling out the rivet.
- Pry out the plastic hinge pin plugs on the top and bottom of both hinges.
- Support the door and drive out the hinge pins with tool J-21688 or equivalent.
- Use tool J-21688, or its equivalent, as follows:
- Remove the threaded collar from the pin.
- Insert the pin through the hinge pin (from the bottom for the upper hinge and from the top for the lower hinge) and reassemble the collar on the pin.
- Hammer on the handle of the tool near the pin to drive (pull) out the hinge pin.
- Position the door side hinges onto the body side hinges and drive the hinge pins using a hammer and a block.
- Fill the hinge pins with a lubricant such as Lubriplate Auto Lube A® or equivalent and install the plastic plugs.
- Assemble the door check link to the support with a steel rivet 3 / 16 "X 9 / 16 ".
- Tape the area (on the door and body pillars) below the upper hinge with cloth backed body tape.
If replacement hinge pin retaining clips or hinge pins are not available, save the clips as follows:
- Using a suitable tool, spread the clip enough to lift the clip above recess, toward the enough the pointed end of the pin.
- As the pin is removed, the clip will ride the shank of the pin and fall free.
- Reinstall the clips onto the pins before installing the door.
- With the door in the full open position, place the flat side of a cold chisel on the pointed end of the upper hinge pin and strike with a hammer to loosen the pin. This will move the pin enough to force the serrated shank (near the head of the pin) out of hinge mating surface.
- With the aid of a helper to support and work the door up and down, drive out the upper and lower hinge pins using a soft headed hammer and locking type pliers.
- Carefully remove the door assembly from the body.
Before installing, replace the hinge pin retaining clips or reuse the old clips as outlined earlier. If clips are not available and the old clips are broken, replace the hinge pins. The upper hinge pin is installed with the pointed end up and the lower hinge pin is installed with the pointed end down.