Follow all the instructions on the Vehicle Emissions Control Information label located on the radiator support panel.
- Bring the engine to a normal operating temperature. Stop the engine and connect a tachometer. Disconnect and plug the PCV hose at the vapor canister and the vacuum hose at the distributor vacuum advance unit (on models so equipped). Start the engine and check curb idle speed. Adjust as necessary.
- Stop the engine, clean the timing marks and mark them with chalk to make them more visible.
- Connect the pick-up lead of the timing light to the number one spark plug. Use a jumper lead or adapter between the wire and plug, better yet use a timing light with an inductive type pick-up.
- Start the engine and aim the timing light at the timing marks. If the marks align, stop the engine, reconnect the PCV and vacuum hoses, and remove the timing light.
- If adjustment is necessary, loosen the distributor clamp and rotate the distributor clamp and rotate the distributor to align the marks. Tighten the clamp and recheck the timing.
Air conditioned models require removal of the compressor, bracket, and belt to reach the distributor clamp.
- Reset the curb idle speed if necessary, stop the engine, and remove the tachometer and timing light. Reconnect the PCV and vacuum hoses.