REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the car and support it safely.
- Place an adjustable lifting device under the axle.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the axle.
- Remove the propeller shaft.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar, tie rod and rear axle extension bracket.
Support the axle extension so that it does not swing down rapidly when disconnected from the body bracket.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
- Remove the brake drums.
- Disconnect the rear flex hose.
- Remove the carrier cover and gasket to drain the lubricant.
- Remove the pinion lock screw using a metric allen wrench.
It may be necessary to shorten the short leg of the allen wrench to allow for clearance.
- Remove the pinion shaft and axle shaft "C" locks.
- Reinstall the pinion shaft and lock screw to retain differental.
- Remove both axle shafts.
- Remove the brake lines at the wheel cylinder, backing plate retaining nuts, parking brake cables and backing plates.
- Remove the lower control arm pivot bolts at the axle.
- Lower the axle slowly until the coil spring tension is released then remove the axle from the vehicle.
- Raise the axle into position.
- Install the lower control arm pivot bolts and tighten to 33 ft. lbs.
- Install the brake lines at the wheel cylinder, backing plate retaining nuts, parking brake cables and backing plates.
- Install both axle shafts.
- Install the axle shaft C-locks, differential pinion and pinion lock screw.
- Install the carrier cover and gasket and fill to the bottom of the plug hole with lubricant. (See Fluids And lubricants).
- Install the brake drums and wheel and tire assemblies.
- Connect the stabilizer bar, tie rod and rear axle extension bracket.
- Connect the propeller shaft and tighten the strap bolts to 16 ft. lbs.
- Connect the shock absorbers to the axle.
- Remove the adjustable lifting device from under the axle.
- Lower the vehicle.