On models through 1980 a canister stores carburetor and fuel tank vapors while the engine is off, holding them to be drawn into the engine and burned when the engine is started. The filter mounted on the bottom of the canister requires replacement at 15,000 mile intervals.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Loosen the screw retaining the canister in its bracket.
- Lift the canister slightly out of the bracket.
- Remove the old filter from the bottom of the canister.
- Install the new filter by working it into the retainers on the bottom of the canister.
- Lower the canister back into its bracket and tighten the screw.
- Check all connecting hoses and replace any that are suspect.