REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The ignition switch is mounted on top of the mast jacket near the front of the dash. The switch is located inside the channel section of the brake pedal support and is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel as previously described.
- Move the driver's seat as far back as possible.
- Remove the floor pan bracket screw.
- Remove the two column bracket-to-instrument panel nuts and lower the column far enough to disconnect the ignition switch wiring harness.
- The switch should be in the Lock position before removal. If the lock cylinder has already been removed, the actuating rod to the switch should be pulled up until there is a definite stop, then moved down one detent which is the Lock position.
- Remove the two mounting screws and remove the ignition and dimmer switch.
- Refer to the installation procedure previously described in Lock Cylinder Removal and Installation.
- Turn the cylinder clockwise to stop and then counterclockwise to the Off-Unlock position.
- Place the ignition switch in the Off-Unlock position by positioning the switch as shown in the accompanying illustration. Move the slider two positions to the right from Accessory to the Off-Unlock position.
- Fit the actuator rod into the slider hole and install the switch on the column. Be sure to use only the correct screws. Tighten only one bottom screw to 35 in. lbs. Be careful not to move the switch out of its detent.
- Perform the dimmer switch adjustment procedure previously outlined in Wiper/Washer Switch Removal and Installation.
- Connect the ignition switch wiring harness.
- Loosely install the column bracket-to-instrument panel nuts to within 1mm - 1 / 2 mm of being tight.
- Install the floor pan bracket screw and tighten it to 25 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the column bracket-to-instrument panel nuts to 20 ft. lbs.
- Install the steering wheel as previously outlined.
- Connect the battery negative cable.