Refer to Section One for details on battery maintenance.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative (ground) battery cable first, then the positive cable. The side terminal cables are retained only by the center bolt.
- Remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery.
- Before installing the battery, clean the battery terminals and the cables thoroughly.
- Check the battery tray to be sure it is clear of any debris. If it is rusty, it should be wire-brushed clean and given a coat of antirust paint, or replaced.
- Install the battery in the tray, being sure it is centered in the lip.
- Install the hold-down clamp. Tighten to 6 ft. lbs., which is tight enough to hold the battery in place, but loose enough to prevent the case from cracking.
- Connect the positive, then the negative battery cables. Installation torque for the cables is 9 ft. lbs. Give the terminals a light external coat of grease after installation to retard corrosion.